The FineMolds’ Bf 109G kits have very nice cockpit details and really the only thing one could/should add are the seat belts. However, for my G-2 I wanted to try the Aires resin and photo-etch cockpit set, primarily because I intend to leave the canopy open. For the Premium Hobbies’ kit I am using an Eduard photo-etch set originally designed for the Academy kit. The other two G-6s will just use FineMolds’ parts, and the Airfix E-7 will also be out-of-the-box, except for photo-etch seat belts.
I started construction by airbrushing all G-models’ interiors with the dark gray RLM 74; I used Mr.Color semi-gloss enamel #36, a good match, but also an experiment for me since I normally use Tamiya acrylics. Mr.Color was a positive experience, easy to spray without any additional thinning. I used a Badger Patriot airbrush at approx. 20 PSI. Note that I also sprayed the photo-etch instrument panels which now will have to be assembled.
In the above picture you can see all the G-models. Note that I originally considered the True Details’ resin cockpit set for MT-452, but came to the conclusion that it does not really add any value, particularly because the canopy will not be open. So the FineMolds’ cockpits (on MT-431 and MT-452) were finished with the only modifications being the addition of Eduard seat belts and moving the instrument panel backwards, towards the seat, for about 1 mm (this modification is described in the build report of a G-6 I completed a few years ago).
The “Carpet Monster” ate the Premium Hobbies’ control column, so I had to scratch-build a new one. My friend Mike Hirsch offered the advice that “Albion Alloys is your friend”, and indeed I used three different thicknesses of aluminum tubing to construct the new part. In fact, I did it twice, since the Carpet Monster also ate the first one I constructed. 😦
After all the interiors were complete, the fuselage halves of each of the 4 G-models were closed. For the G-2 with Aires’ resin interior, the panel behind the pilot’s head is a separate photo-etch part; it was superglued on, and the shoulder belts were attached last. The picture below shows the current state of the project.
The Airfix E-7 interior was sprayed with RLM 02, and for this I used Tamiya XF-22. Retrospectively, the “Emil” is too different from all the “Gustavs”, so including it in this project does not offer the “economies of scale” you gain with the others.